Skip to main content

The Odd pair



”Violence is never the answer”, the monk says, pumping his shotgun. ”But you don’t always have to be right”.


I look at him in disbelief, soon to be growing panic. How did we get from peddling serenity training lockers to…this? True, I had only known Theseus for..let’s see…two weeks, but still. In two weeks you’d think stir crazy would pop out its head and yank at you. At least once? But no. Theseus (Dzisus, is that even his name? Maybe I don’t know anything about him) seemed as regular as Volvo. It was smooth sailing and inward smiles all through camp training. Not one to stand out, I thought myself lucky to be paired with him. I had looked in disbelief at some of the other recruits. Misfits, ex-druggies, clean-cut loonies, and the occasional seeker. No, I could have done much worse, of this I had felt certain. And the first three days of door-knocking here in….Tubersville (population 563) was apple pie and cream cheese. Perhaps we got more door-slammers than lemonade glasses to our faces, but hey, what do you expect? It IS a pretty flea-ridden county after all. Our handlers had been explicit, this is just warm-up. No quotas are expected to fill up. Not yet. First, learn how to put the boot to the ground and start grinding. 


Perhaps this was why. To see who had the mettle and be able to contain outbreaks such as… but this is madness. It cannot be happening to me. Not again. Not like this. I mean, for chrissake. Who do you have to blow around here to get a break, huh? Just the one.


But no, someone had the sadistic idea of playing me, just a little bit more. You know what? Fine. Whatever. Two can dance this tango.


”Yo Theseus, back off for a sec. Say hello to my little friend.”

”Why you bxzwsk…..fre….quak…”


The rest of the transmission is garbled for reasons not known. Possibilities include corrupted files, sun flares, and a herd of unruly hippopotamuses. Incident report filed and stored under Magnamius, Jan. No access restrictions.


I sigh and resign my seat at the table. It remains unclear why Prof. Janssen insists we sift through these. Some will fall asleep after a few grueling hours of this, but I do not share that affliction. Unfortunately in my case, other ailments are beseeching me. It’s hunger, plain and simple. Remains to choose my poison of the day. I briefly entertain the idea of fish, but discard the notion out of hand. A quick view in my rearview window suffice. 


The rest of the crew bailed. Perhaps this is why. As I walk to the waiting area grinding my teeth I am struck with an insight. I turn on my heels and peruse the lexica Amargana. Yes, you buggers, I gotcha! See, there are prizes for perseverance, you just have to…persevere. I note the related filings in my purpose-made notebook and it feels like I can breathe again after forever.


There is a match, and I found it. Just like Janssen undoubtedly assumed one or more of us would. My prospects just increased by a magnitude. I could afford a sly smile and the rest of the afternoon off.


As I traipse off towards some rest in the outer dormitories the faint smell of something burning (cedar? Incense?) passes through my nostrils and my consciousness. It barely registers, I am so looking forward to my bunk. If I had known, but how could I? I was, after all, just a measly free-riding scholarship student in my second freshman semester. Yes, as I recall these fateful events for the Chronicler I see the difference it would have made. I also see how I could never have seen it.


(To be continued)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Odd Pair - Chapter 3

- It’s a thrill to be sure. And the pleasure is all mine, I assure you. We have been expecting…I mean, we had been hoping for a signal of some sort, so our lab team was overjoyed when it suddenly broke through. No, they are still working on that sir, but we felt you should be the first to know. I mean, the first civilian. I mean, eh, never mind, shall we? Ah, here is Dr Whirst, she has promised to guide us through the…excentrities this time around. This way, if you please, Mrs Secretary. - Hi. I’m doctor Whirst, but you can call me Callie. That’s what everyone around here does anyway. So, you came to see the big kaloohey, eh? Yeah, well, I didn’t bring out the bells and whistles for this one, let me tell you. See, there was this one time, in the K´thar desert where it seemed we really… oh sorry, yes of course…I quite understand…take your time. I forget what it must be like for grumpies to pass that gate, myself, I am so used to…sorry again. Yes of course. Yes… Can do… Right, howev...

12

They defy assessment, if you let them, she said. I had no choice. That is totally wild, Ifigenia. I think you are brave, clear as the liquid of truth. But it is night. Shall we? Come look, and then say. I just happened to pass by. You know how it is. The will to impose. Crumbs of crackers collecting in your shirt. Bells ringing. The Dome echo. A giant music box. Calling in mist. Calling in cold. Calling. Life on the rails. Ears throbbing. From tiredness. From too many politely empty observations. From too much waiting.

18

He ascended the stairs to reach fresh air. Fresh air and a new start. Crispy croissants and cafe con leche in a new setting. He could make a go of this. It didn’t matter the earlier times. He had free will, and wanted to execute it. He knew all about luck, and paid no heed to coincidence. He wouldn’t be bullied. But in himself he had to admit it wasn’t going well. He was honest enough to face up to the facts, at least in front of the mirror. It was something about luggage, no matter how he hated excuses. There are excuses that cover the real reasons, and there are excuses that are so well crafted that they fool the messenger. But in his heart of hearts he knew there were excuses that were actually true. He just didn’t really accept them. He had this childish notion since childhood, that his approach to dealing with things like this could affect their final outcome. And so he stubbornly resisted. No matter the weight of evidence tipping the scale against him. Becaus...